This is all about my garden and how I make it grow.

This is what I have done in my garden and my yard to try to make it grow and be as beautiful as it can be.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Dirt recipes



In my previous post I told you about just how poor my soil is, and that if I want anything to grow I have to keep it in containers. I felt that I needed to explain how I do some things. First when I plant something in a container I always make my own soil so to speak. I have a specific recipe I use for bulbs and specific recipe I use for everyday plants . The secret for bulbs is bone meal. I would never plant a bulb without mixing bone meal in the soil, or at the very least putting a small amount of bone meal at least a half inch to an inch below the roots. Bone meal is suppose to be good for the roots and helps them grow better and faster. If you think about it, that is all a bulb really is a large root. I also use the same bulb dirt recipe for flowering tubers as well.


Bulb dirt recipe

2 parts potting soil (sometimes I will use 1 miracle grow and 1 cheap potting soil)

1 part peat moss

1 part course sand (or you can use perlite)

Bone meal as per package directions


I have used this recipe with all my bulbs and it has never steered me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment