This is all about my garden and how I make it grow.

This is what I have done in my garden and my yard to try to make it grow and be as beautiful as it can be.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

amaryllis seeds



Well after I counted the seeds that came from my amaryllis seed pods this year I ended up with over 150 seeds from the most recent plant this time. I guess I must know how to pollinate the flower to have gotten that many viable seeds. The way you can tell if a seed is viable is you can feel a small seed in the tissue like paper that came from the pod. With this amount of seeds I am going to have to do this year just as I have done the past several years. And that is start sprouting them about a dozen at the time.



I use what is called the California method when sprouting my seeds. The California method is that you place the seeds in water and wait for them to sprout. I check them every day and when they have a small green leaf I place it in a shallow pan (with drain holes) that contains seed starting mix. The seed starting mix does not hold water very well so I water it every day and wait until the water comes out the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment