This is all about my garden and how I make it grow.

This is what I have done in my garden and my yard to try to make it grow and be as beautiful as it can be.

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Amaryllis growth








Back in 2009 I decided to try and grow an amaryllis bulb. I did not have much to work with but I did have the desire to try. It has not been easy but it has been rewarding. I made the decision this year to keep the bulbs outside when the weather started getting warm. The plants seem to do better when they have natural sunlight. The bulbs were in 5 inch pots in my cold frame. The cold frame as of now is only a large wooden box without a top. I took the top off because the plants would get to hot if I closed it, I guess you could say it looks like a large planter. Anyway I put the plants in there because if the wind is blowing the walls of the cold frame will protect the plants I don't have to worry about them. Yesterday I noticed several of the leaves of the bulbs were getting somewhat bigger that I expected. Anyway I decided to re pot one of the bulbs. I choose a bulb that had rather large leaves. I was surprised at just how large the bulb had gotten. I have a total of twenty bulbs I started in 2009 and I am going to re pot them all in six inch pots. I don't expect all of them to be as large as the one I most recently re potted but, at the rate this one is growing I do expect a bloom within the next two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment