This is all about my garden and how I make it grow.

This is what I have done in my garden and my yard to try to make it grow and be as beautiful as it can be.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Starting Oregano



I started some oregano seeds several days ago because it is my hope that I will be able to make some Italian seasoning out of fresh herbs. I looked at several Italian seasonings and found that there are many combinations when it comes to what the different manufactures put in it. The two herbs that are in all of the Italian seasonings I have seen are Oregano and Thyme. Which means I needed to grow some Oregano since I already have some thyme growing.



I started the seeds by putting them in a small seed starting tray. I used seed starting mix. The seed starting mix dries out very easily and fast so I keep the bottom tray filled with water and mist the top where the seedlings are. Once the seedlings get a little bit of size to them I stop placing water in the bottom and just mist from the top. I mist several days because as I said the seed starting mix does dry out fast.



The water and mist I use is a very weak solution of plant fertilizer. I use 1/4 tablespoon of miracle grow plant fertilizer in gallon of water. I use this solution every day when I water or mist my plants.


As You can see from the picture using this method I have some Oregano sprouts. Of course it will take several weeks before the plants are large enough to harvest. I am hopeful that they will survive. I have never grown oregano before and I have no idea what will happen next. Rest assured I will share my experiences, and who knows perhaps we will learn something along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment