This is all about my garden and how I make it grow.

This is what I have done in my garden and my yard to try to make it grow and be as beautiful as it can be.

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Starting plants in water







There are several ways to propagate plants. One of the ways that I have found the easiest is simply putting the plants in water. You take a pickle jar or olive jar, hey any kind of jar. I use glass jars, you don't have to use a glass jar but it helps keep track of how long the roots are and you can let that help determine when you can place the plant cutting in dirt. I usually use the cuttings from when I am prunning around the yard.

I did not want a leggy looking butterfly bush, I wanted a bush looking bush so I snipped the tallest sprig from the bush I had in the ground. After I snipped the sprig it started bushing out and it actually looked like a bush instead of a weed. Well I did not want to throw the cutting away so I placed it in water and it started growing roots. It does take several weeks maybe longer depending on the temperature in your house. I just place the jar with the cutting on my window seal and simply wait. I did the same with the coleus that I had. I will say the coleus rooted a lot faster than the butterfly bush. I purchased some pots off of eBay that came in earlier this week so and I am going to set aside a day for potting plants. I find working with plants relaxing and fun. I'll just have to find a place to put them when I'm done or someone to give them to.

No comments:

Post a Comment