This is all about my garden and how I make it grow.

This is what I have done in my garden and my yard to try to make it grow and be as beautiful as it can be.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Black Pearl Amaryllis update

Novmber 28, 2011









November 27, 2011








November 23,2011



November 19, 2011







Well here are the pics of my Black Pearl amaryllis as it has started growing. I think the bulb was simply waiting until the Zombie bloomed before it decided it was going to start. That way it would allow the zombie to show itself and not be upstaged once the jumbo black pearl started. I have seen many pics of Black pearl amaryllis and the color of the bloom vary. I might be the flower or it might be the photographer's use of light. The one thing I can say it that the flower is a dark red and I mean DARK.

I am looking forward to seeing what this one will be. I have nine other amaryllis that I have recently forced into dormancy. The colors that I have range from white to pink. I have quite a few that I started from seeds but I have no idea what color they will be. If the parent plant was a hybrid (and I really think it is) there is no telling what color the flower will be once the bulb reaches bloom size. The base of some of the leaves have been red so I am predicting that the flower will be red. I read in the book Hippeastrum the gardener's amaryllis that when the bulb has gone through it's second winter you have to make it go dormant. So I have twenty bulbs in pots going dormant. I tell my little girl that they are taking a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment